Challenge Your Arizona Imprisonment With a Writ of Habeas Corpus


A writ of habeas corpus is a legal rule that gives a prisoner the right to request court assistance and show that they’ve been wrongfully imprisoned. In other words, if you’re arrested, you can make the arrester prove that you were lawfully arrested and detained.

Convicted criminals who think they’re being held in inhumane conditions or were wrongly detained may file a writ of habeas corpus in an attempt to challenge their imprisonment. In many countries, residents are incarcerated for long periods of time without the legal means to challenge it.

Habeas corpus is meant to prevent this type of abuse in the United States. If you believe you’ve been unfairly sentenced, working with a criminal defense attorney is essential.

What is the Writ of Habeas Corpus?

  • Habeas corpus gives convicted criminals a chance to challenge their imprisonment
  • You must be “in custody” to bring a habeas corpus petition, though this doesn’t necessarily mean incarceration
  • The writ is used as a last resort, after all other options have already been exhausted
  • A writ of habeas corpus could lead to better prison conditions, dropped charges, or a reduced sentence
  • You should work with a criminal defense attorney to increase your odds of a favorable outcome

To qualify as valid, a writ of habeas corpus must show that a factual or legal error was made by the court in ordering the prisoner’s imprisonment or detention. The court can enforce and issue subpoenas in an attempt to access additional evidence. Habeas corpus petitions exist in both federal and state courts. In some cases, the federal court will determine a state conviction illegal or unjust and demand that the prisoner is released.

What can a Writ of Habeas Corpus Achieve?

In many cases, the court will hold a hearing in which both sides can present evidence regarding the case. If there isn’t enough evidence to support the inmate, they’ll be returned to jail or prison. However, if the inmate can provide sufficient evidence, they might:

  • Have their charges dropped
  • Receive a reduced sentence
  • Receive a new trial or plea deal
  • Get better prison conditions

Habeas corpus is distinct from the right to appeal and offers a separate method to challenge imprisonment. It’s usually used when a direct appeal has already been attempted and failed. Habeas corpus is often enacted as a last resort when an inmate insists that their case involves a miscarriage of justice. Criminal defendants always have the right to appeal a sentence or conviction, which involves a higher court reviewing the rulings of the trial judge.

Habeas Corpus Requirements

Specific circumstances must be present for a habeas corpus petition to work. You’ll only be eligible to bring such a petition if you’ve already attempted every other appeal option available to you. It’s meant to serve as a last resort. 

Also, you must be “in custody,” which doesn’t have to mean incarceration. In some cases, this can apply to situations where the state or federal government has used a conviction or charge to obstruct your freedom of movement. If you’re out on bail or probation, you could potentially bring a petition for habeas corpus.

Penalties and Possible Defenses

Habeas corpus is an essential factor of the United States criminal system and is meant to protect citizens from abuse of power. The right to challenge a criminal sentence or conviction with a writ of habeas corpus is guaranteed by law, but it’s important to work with an attorney if you choose to go this route. A legal professional will have plenty of experience defending individuals faced with criminal charges and can help you decide which step to take next.

Frequently Asked Questions on Habeas Corpus

Here are some common questions people have about habeas corpus petitions:

Q: How does a writ of habeas corpus differ from an appeal?

An appeal is used to solve mistakes that happened during the case and doesn’t consider new evidence. If you believe the judge at your trial committed a legal error during your case, you’ll likely need to pursue an appeal. If you’re just looking for another chance to prove your innocence, filing an appeal isn’t the right course of action.

A writ of habeas corpus is what you should use if you want the court to look at evidence that the judge didn’t have access to. This type of petition is for circumstances involving a legal error that led to a loss of your rights. Seeking legal counsel is best if you aren’t sure whether to go with an appeal or a writ of habeas corpus. In some cases, you’ll need both.

Q: Do I always have access to a writ of habeas corpus?

No, it isn’t available in every circumstance, and strict procedures determine which will go through. Judges in the United States receive an abundance of habeas corpus petitions every year, many of which are created without professional legal assistance. Generally, inmates are prohibited from filing petitions repeatedly regarding the same matter.

Q: Should I file a civil rights complaint or a habeas corpus petition?

A civil rights complaint is more appropriate if you’re challenging the conditions of your confinement, rather than the fact that you’re in jail. For example, claiming unlawful institutional policies or severe mistreatment calls for a civil rights complaint.

According to the Prison Litigation Reform Act, you first must try to fix the issue using standard grievance procedures before proceeding with a civil rights complaint. This gives correctional officials at the facility a chance to remedy the issue before litigation.

What to Do if You’re Facing Criminal Charges in Arizona

It’s not uncommon for reversible errors to occur during criminal sentencing hearings or plea agreements. Since the law is complex and ever-changing, it’s best to work with a legal professional if you decide to challenge your terms of imprisonment. A skilled criminal defense attorney can help you devise a suitable plan if you believe you’ve been sentenced or convicted unfairly. They may be able to find judicial errors that will help you reach a more favorable outcome with your case.

Call the JacksonWhite Criminal Law team at (480) 467-4370 to discuss your case today.

Free Criminal Case Review

Call (480) 467-4370  or fill out the form below to get your free consultation and discuss your best legal options.