Abuse does not always have to be physical; verbal aggression or altercations can be considered harassment, which is punishable by law in the state of Arizona.
According to A.R.S. 13-2921, a person commits harassment in Arizona if, with intent to harass or knowing they are harassing another person they:
- Directly or anonymously communicate something by any means that is meant to harass.
- Continue to follow another person in or about a public place for no legitimate purpose after being asked to stop.
- Repeatedly commit an act or acts that harass another person.
- Place a person under surveillance for no legitimate purpose.
- On more than one occasion make a false report to a law enforcement, credit, or social service agency.
- Interfere with the delivery of any public or regulated utility to a person.
A.R.S 13-2921.01 states that harassment becomes aggravated when a person commits harassment as stated above and:
- There is already an active restraining order from the courts.
- The person has previously been convicted of domestic violence involving the same victim.
Penalties for Harassment in Arizona
Penalties range from misdemeanor to class 5 felony charges.
A first time charge for harassment is considered a class 1 misdemeanor offense. If convicted, a person can face up to six months in jail.
Penalties for aggravated harassment depend on the number of offenses previously convicted of.
|Charge||Felony Class||Minimum Jail Time||Max Jail Time|
|First Aggravated Harassment Conviction||6||Six months||1.5 years|
|Second Aggravated Harassment Conviction||5||Nine months||Two years|
How JacksonWhite Can Help You
Harassment convictions can weigh heavily on a person’s future. It is important to know the legal options that are best for you in each situation when facing these types of charges.
If you have been charged with harassment, a JacksonWhite criminal attorney can offer you compassionate and hardworking legal representation that has seen solid case results in related offenses. JacksonWhite criminal defense lawyer Jeremy Geigle has over 10 years of criminal defense experience. Let him fight on your side.
Get Your Free Harassment Case Review Today
Having a solid legal team can help get the best results for you.
Call us at (480) 467-4370 today to schedule your free and confidential harassment case consultation.