Litter bugs take note – ARS 12-1603 states that it is possible for you to be accused of criminal littering or polluting in the state of Arizona if, without lawful authority you unlawfully:
- Throw, place, drop or permit the dropping of, on public property or property belonging to another person, any destructive or injurious material of which you do not immediately remove;
- Release or permit the release of any sewage, oil products or other harmful substances into the water or shorelines within the state; or
- Dump earth, soil, stones, ores or minerals on any land/area.
The possible punishments for criminal littering and/or polluting in the state of Arizona can be charged as follows:
- Class 6 felony – if a knowing violation occurred in which the amount of litter or prohibited material/substance exceeds 300lbs in weight or one hundred cubic feet in volume or is done in any quantity for a commercial purpose;
- Class 1 misdemeanor – if the act of littering or polluting involves any destructive or injurious material on or within 50ft of a highway, beach, shoreline or other public body of water.
If you have questions or concerns about an issue involving criminal pollution or criminal littering in Arizona, the criminal defense attorneys at JacksonWhite can help. We offer free, confidential consultations at our various office locations throughout the Phoenix metro area, including – Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix and Peoria. Call 480-818-9943.