Recovering Damages for Delayed Pain After a Car Accident in Arizona


Car accidents are an adrenaline-filled affair, so it’s easy to think you didn’t suffer any injuries until later. Even if your car accident wasn’t that bad (or didn’t seem that way), you might experience delayed pain. From headaches to whiplash or shoulder and neck pain, it’s not uncommon for certain symptoms to be delayed.

The first thing you should do after an accident is call the police, then seek medical attention. Even if you feel fine, it’s important to get checked out since not all symptoms appear right away. When you get an evaluation from a doctor, ask them to supply an estimate of future medical costs.

Can you seek compensation if your accident-related pain didn’t appear until days or weeks later? In some cases, you can. We’ll cover the details of that in addition to what you should do after a car accident and how to get help with your case.

What to Keep in Mind About Delayed Injuries

  • Some symptoms don’t appear until days or weeks after a car accident
  • You should get a medical evaluation immediately after an accident
  • Hold onto any evidence that will help support your personal injury claim
  • In some cases, working with a personal injury attorney is best for recovering damages 

Wait to Sign a Release of Liability

The injured party will customarily sign a release of liability after their accident claim settles. If applicable, this form ends the lawsuit and any future claims regarding the accident. But it’s important to remember that signing this form too soon may make you lose out on future compensation for delayed injuries. 

For this reason, it’s essential that you get a medical evaluation immediately after an accident (once you’ve already called the police). If you’ve already signed a release of liability, you won’t be able to recover damages for delayed pain.

After a car accident, you may hear from the other driver’s insurance agency. They will attempt to get you to sign the form mentioned above and might even offer you a sum of money. However, you shouldn’t sign it until you’ve made sure that all of the injuries from the accident have shown themselves. Keep in mind, if you’ve already signed a release and your injury is delayed, you cannot pursue compensation for it.

Common Types of Delayed Pain from Car Accidents

If you were in a car accident recently, your neck or head pain might be more than just a simple headache. Your headache might be a sign of stress or it could indicate that you’ve suffered a concussion or brain injury. If you’re experiencing discomfort in your shoulders, it might be whiplash (which really refers to several types of injuries). 

Pain in the shoulders or neck might also indicate a herniated disk. Some people experience lower back pain after a car accident, which might indicate a pinched nerve or muscle damage. If you notice any of these symptoms soon after a car accident, don’t write them off as random.

How to Prove an Injury

Insurance agencies know that it’s your responsibility to show proof when you (as the injured party) are seeking compensation after a car accident. To supply the burden of proof, you’ll need to substantiate your claims by showing what caused the accident. You’ll also need to supply evidence in the form of medical records, pictures, and witness testimony if possible.

Regardless of how severe the injuries or accident seemed at the time, you should always call the police and have them make a report. The police report will play an important role in ascertaining who was at fault in the collision. Get the vehicle plate numbers, insurance info, driver’s license number, name, and address of any other drivers involved in the accident.

Proof of Damages

For many car accident lawsuits, most of the recovery is related to physical or personal property. Gather all documentation you can related to car rentals and repairs, including improvements you made to your vehicle before the collision. You also need to gather any documentation related to your medical visits including bills and prescription receipts. If you can, ask your doctor to provide an estimation for how long your injuries should last.

FAQ on Handling Delayed Pain from a Car Accident

Here are some common questions related to delayed pain from a car accident:

Q: How long should I expect to feel sore after a car wreck? 

Every situation is different, and a medical professional is the best person to ask this question. In many cases, pain from a car accident will clear up within a few weeks. However, a number of factors will impact how long you can expect to feel sore. These include how fast each vehicle was driving, whether or not your air bags went off, where the car was hit, and more. 

If the collision was more intense or at a higher speed, you can generally expect the injuries to be more severe as a result.

Q: What other symptoms are commonly delayed after a car accident?

In addition to neck, shoulder, and back pain, you might feel a numb or tingling sensation in your body or abdominal pain. Many people experience emotional suffering after an accident, such as anxiety or depression.

Q: What other evidence can help support my claim?

If you’re in the process of a personal injury lawsuit, you can seek information from the other driver by using car accident interrogatories. These are written questions that the other driver must provide an answer to under oath (for example, asking whether they were texting and driving when the accident occurred). Their answers can help you build more evidence for your case.

What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Car Accident in Arizona and Experiencing Delayed Pain

If you were in a car accident and the extent of your injuries didn’t appear until later, you might be able to recover compensation. But it all depends on whether or not you’ve already settled the claim and signed the liability release. Speak with a personal injury attorney today to get answers on your questions.

Call our Personal Injury teamn at (480) 467-4392 to discuss your case today.

Free Personal Injury Case Review

Call (480) 467-4392 or fill out the form below to get your free consultation and discuss your best legal options.