Does Car Insurance Cover Single Car Accidents in Arizona?


You might think that the biggest threat while driving is other cars on the road. But it turns out that over 50 percent of traffic deaths occur as a result of single car accidents in the United States. Distracted driving, faulty roads, and animals are all common causes for solo car wrecks.

Getting into a single car accident raises some unique concerns. You might be wondering how to handle insurance or whether you’re criminally liable if the accident wasn’t your fault. We’ll look at different types of single car accidents and follow up with information on liability and how to handle this situation. 

Single Car Accidents in Arizona

  • Most of the time, you’ll be liable for the accident in a single car crash
  • In some cases, you can prove someone else was at fault and recover compensation
  • Filing a claim may lead to getting assistance with medical expenses, damage to your vehicle, and missed wages from the accident
  • Call a personal injury attorney as soon as possible if you were in a single car accident and have questions

You may have lost control of your vehicle while driving over an icy road or swerved to miss an animal, leading to a solo car accident. But you might be able to shift the fault and claim damages if you can prove someone else’s negligence cashed the collision. Below are some of the most common causes of single car accidents:

Someone Else’s Negligence

In some cases, a single car accident will happen due to a cyclist or motorist making a mistake that you must respond to, causing a wreck. For example, a bicyclist could pull into your lane without looking and force you to serve to avoid them. This could cause you to hit a sign or guardrail, and technically the cyclist would be at fault for the wreck.

Driving Drunk

Driving while intoxicated often leads to accidents, such as hitting a parked car or stop sign. If this happens to you, and you’re found guilty of a DUI, you’ll be responsible for covering any resulting damages. Your insurance plan may cover you, but it depends on your policy.

Poor Road Maintenance

Poor road maintenance is another potential cause for single car accidents, along with malfunctioning streetlights. If you drove over a deep pothole or got into a wreck due to the county or city failing to maintain the roads or stoplights, you may not be at fault. It can be difficult to determine fault in such a situation, so contacting an experienced attorney is important.

Faulty or Defective Vehicle

If you get into a crash due to a faulty or defective vehicle, the vehicle manufacturer may have to cover your damages. If you believe your accident was the result of a manufacturing error or design flaw in your vehicle, do your best to preserve evidence to prove it. An attorney can help you build proof that the accident wasn’t your fault, so you can file a claim against the company. 

Will My Insurance Cover the Accident?

It depends on your coverage. If you hit an animal or inanimate object or rolled your car, you should be covered if you have collision coverage. In this case, your insurance will likely consider it an at-fault accident, meaning you could see an increase in your premiums. You may get some of the resulting medical expenses covered if you signed up for personal injury protection.

When am I Liable in a Single Car Wreck?

You may be liable for a single car collision if your actions caused the wreck. For instance, if you were texting while driving and got in an accident, you’d likely be at fault. Another example is driving too fast in snowy conditions and losing control of your vehicle. In general, any time you fail to exercise the necessary caution while driving and it leads to a wreck, you’ll be held responsible.

FAQ on Single Car Accidents

Below are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding single car accidents in Arizona: 

Q: What information will my insurance company ask for?

Your insurance agency will want you to let them know about the accident as soon as possible. They will ask about the vehicles involved, the nature of the crash, the police report, your license and registration, and contact information for all parties involved.

Q: Do I have to call the police if I’m in a single car crash?

If the property damage from the accident is minor and no one was injured, you may not have to call the police after a single car wreck. Keep in mind that you must file a report with the police if there’s significant damage or someone was injured from the accident. If you have questions on this, speak with an attorney first.

Q: What records do I need to keep after a single car wreck? 

Hold onto all your medical records, medical bills, prescription bills, automobile repair estimates, and proof of missing work due to injuries (if applicable). These documents will help you prove the damages resulting from your car accident. Without adequate records, you’ll have a harder time obtaining compensation for lost wages or injuries. Speak with an attorney if you’re wondering what damages you may be able to recover after a single car accident. 

Q: When do I need to call an attorney? 

A personal injury attorney will help you figure out what to do next if you were in a single car accident. It’s best to speak with them as soon as possible to increase your odds of receiving full compensation if you weren’t at fault in the accident.

What to Do if You’ve Been Injured

If you were in a single car accident, you’re probably worried about how you’ll cover your medical expenses and how you should deal with your insurance agency. Since solo vehicle collisions come with so many variables, it’s wise to speak to an attorney as soon as possible. 

It’s important to avoid paying anyone for damages, especially if you were injured in the accident. An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to answer your questions and help you come up with a suitable plan of action.

Call our Personal Injury team at (480) 467-4392 to discuss your case today.

Free Personal Injury Case Review

Call (480) 467-4392 or fill out the form below to get your free consultation and discuss your best legal options.