• (480) 467-4348

Termination of Parental Rights in Arizona

When a child lives under circumstances that threaten his or her well-being, somebody close to that child may need to petition the court for a termination of parental rights.

Anybody with a legitimate interest in that child’s welfare can petition the court for termination of parental rights, be it a relative, a physician or a private agency. Sometimes taking this step is crucial for the safety of the child.

Need an experienced attorney to represent you?

Get in touch with our Family Law Team today!
Contact Us Now

I have worked with Timothy Durkin in Family Law matters. He is amazing and helped change the life of my daughter in positive ways. He looks for a way to settle and if he can’t he is a bulldog in the courtroom and a pleasure to watch during cross examination! I highly recommend him.read more
Dr. Harvey Abrams, D.
With all the chips against me. Out of the blue was Tim Durkin attorney at law. If there's anybody that can help you. It is Tim Durkin. Guaranteed. I believe God works beside Tim throughout it all. Tim had all of the answers and everything fell into place. Everything was fair and he was decent, polite and well-mannered. Very professional in and out of the courtroom. He is impressive and he gets the job done well. Anyone that has the honor to meet him and/or work with him, will always hold him in their heart and wish him the best. Because he's not just an attorney that defends your rights, but he fights for what is right and fair, he's a friend that protects you. With his loyal staff, they are the Attorney at Law to represent you in family Court.read more
NancyAna L.
I can honestly say that working with Tim Durkin has been a wonderful experience through a very trying time. I had a very messy situation and hated disclosing such personal information to a stranger. Tim was always professional. He was very patient and took the time to ensure I understood what was happening. I would recommend Tim Durkin to anyone looking for a family attorney.read more
Melissa C.


Grounds for Parental Termination in Arizona

Courts may only terminate parental rights with the proper statutory authority. Arizona Revised Statute §8-533(B) provides the following grounds for termination:

  1. The parent abandoned the child.
  2. The parent neglected or abused the child.
  3. The parent has mental illness or a history of substance abuse that is likely to continue for an indeterminate period of time.
  4. The parent was convicted of a felony of such a nature that would prove unfitness to parent, or the sentence will deprive the child from a normal home for a period of years.
  5. The presumed (called “putative”) father failed to file a timely claim of paternity.
  6. The parents relinquished their rights to another individual or an adoption agency.
  7. The child is being cared for in an out-of-home placement for a period of time, and the parents have not remedied the situation that caused such placement.
  8. The identity of the parent is unknown, and remains unknown after three months of diligent searching.
  9. The parent had parental rights to another child terminated within the preceding two years, and is presently unable to discharge parental responsibilities for the same cause.
  10. The child is repeatedly removed from the home to out-of-home placement.

Schedule Your Consultation

Fill out the form below to get your consultation and discuss your best legal options.

Call Now to Get Started