According to, Will Smith’s son, Jaden Smith asked to be legally emancipated from his Parents (Will and Jada), only to later change his mind. According to Will, Jaden wanted to be emancipated “because he really wants to have his own place.”

Jaden said on the Ellen show, “I’m not going anywhere; I think I’m going to be there for 20 to 30 more years. [Will Smith] says as soon as I have a movie that’s bigger than one of his movies then I have to get my own house.”

Emancipation laws vary by state. In Arizona, “Laws 2005, HB2428 provides the ability for a child of 16 years or older to petition the court to become emancipated from their parents.  In order for the petition to be granted, the petitioner must meet a number of criteria indicating that he or she is able to be independent.”

  • The minor must be at least 16 years old (and less than 18) to petition for emancipation in Arizona
  • The 16-18 year old must be a resident of Arizona and of the county where the request is being filed
  • The individual must be financially self-sufficient, meaning they are able to support themselves and provide their own food, housing, and medical care
  • If the minor is legally married or if is a ward of the state, they cannot apply for emancipation

The information offered is not intended to take place of legal advice. If you would like more questions answered about the emancipation of a minor in Arizona, call our Family Law attorney today. Dial (480) 464-1111 now.

More information and forms can also be found on the AZ Judicial Branch website.