• (480) 626-2388


Unlawful presence usually occurs for two reasons: (1) The person entered the United States illegally, therefore the do not have a legal presence in the United States (2) A person has stayed past the date they were required to leave on their visa. In the first scenario, the person would be barred from reentering the United States for 3 years. However, in the second situation the person has 180 past their date they were supposed to leave before they become barred.

The most common reason this occurs is because someone is already past their time and are barred, they therefore see no reason to leave since it will take so long to gain access to another visa. This is dangerous thinking, because if they are caught they can be immediately deported. However, it is not entirely over at that point. This person may apply for a waiver of unlawful presence.

The waiver of unlawful presence can have this barred period “waived” or forgiven. If approved the person must return to their country of origin and reapply for an immigration visa.

Need to speak with an experienced immigration attorney?

Get in touch with our Immigration Law Team today!
Contact Us Now

I wish I could give 10 stars! From the moment I called Jackson White's ALTCS team, I felt like everything was going to be taken care of. They were the calm in my storm, the island in the ocean. I hope they know the difference they made in at least one life. And, after all, that’s the best thing we can do.read more
denise aiken
Good customer service and answered all my questions. Resolved my situation.
Reggie Orabuena
Absolutely incredible Law Firm. Cannot thank them enough! Ashley, Jeremy and John truly care.
best vids
Working with Attorney Jared Everton was as easy and efficient. Living thousands of miles away made me nervous, but they were great and put my mind at ease.
Jessica Burr
Daniel M. is an exceptional employee. Keeps you informed, honest, to the point, and very helpful. It had been a pleasure working with him on my issue.
Faith Davidssyn
Jackson White provided excellent legal advice and representation. They were my first pick, and I’m glad I gave them the opportunity to support my and my business. I highly recommend this firm.
Christina Martinez
Absolutely hands down the best in the business! They are the real deal indeed. Very professional and courteous. I would recommend their services to anyone and everyone.
Jason Stebbins
Ashley was very friendly and polite and expert in her knowledge of Law and extremely helpful. She successfully reduced my speeding from Criminal to civil. I'm very grateful. Thank you!
Charles Norris
Tim is the best lawyer there his people skills are the best and he really knows his stuff!!
ML Walker


Waiver of a Criminal Record

Applying for a green card, or an immigration visa, in the United States, with a criminal record, is very complicated. However, if the right precautions are taken it is possible to have your criminal record “waived” in relation to applying for a visa. However, if a crime makes you “inadmissible” to the United States, you will not be granted access.

The following are examples of crimes that it may be possible to be waived:

  • prostitution
  • unlawful commercialized vice
  • moral turpitude
  • possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana
  • multiple convictions with an aggregate sentence of confinement of at least 5 years or..
    • a serious criminal offense in a case where you asserted immunity from prosecution, left the United States and refused to submit to the jurisdiction of a U.S. court

While these above crimes may see you eligible, there is a good amount of work and other eligibility requirements that will apply. The best way to determine if you may be eligible is to seek the advice of an immigration attorney.

Waiver of Inadmissibility for Fraud or Misrepresentation

A foreign national who has been committed of fraud or misrepresents a material fact for the purpose of obtaining immigration benefits during a visa application, entry to the U.S. or adjustment of status is inadmissible. However, there may be waivers to have this situation forgiven by the U.S. government.  This depends entirely on what your specific situation is, the best way to determine if you may be eligible for this waiver is to contact our immigration team.


Call our Immigration team at (480) 626-2388 to discuss your case today.

Schedule Your Consultation

Fill out the form below to get your consultation and discuss your best legal options.