October Is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
Did you know according to AZ’s Department of Health Services Website :
- One in every four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime
- 85% of domestic violence victims are women
- Each year an estimated 1.3 million women are victimized by intimate partners
- Domestic violence results in more than 18.5 million health care visits yearly
- Most cases of domestic violence are never reported to the police
- Every 44 minutes in Arizona, one or more children witness domestic violence
- Up to 60% of perpetrators of intimate partner violence also abuse their children
- Witnessing violence as a child is the strongest risk factor in transmitting violent behavior from one generation to the next
- Boys who witness domestic violence are twice as likely to abuse their own partners and children when they become adults
- In the rural areas of Arizona, victims of domestic violence may not have access to services due to isolation and long distances between available domestic violence safe homes or shelters
Domestic violence is the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive behavior perpetrated by an intimate partner against another. It is an epidemic affecting individuals in every community, regardless of age, economic status, race, religion, nationality or educational background. Violence against women is often accompanied by emotionally abusive and controlling behavior, and thus is part of a systematic pattern of dominance and control. Domestic violence results in physical injury, psychological trauma, and sometimes death. The consequences of domestic violence can cross generations and truly last a lifetime.
JacksonWhite’s Family Law Attorney, Timothy Durkin, would like to encourage you to get help if you are facing domestic violence. Timothy can assist you in your domestic violence case, file for orders of protection and much more, please call for a DISCOUNTED consult at (480) 779-7972.