Simona Wilson was electrocuted by several surges of stray current while taking a shower in the comfort of her own home. The electric charges made their way through the shower head, which was installed not too long before.
In 2007, Wilson’s Redondo Beach home was owned by the electric company, Southern California Edison, and located next to a substation. The home was used to house the employees of the electric company. When Wilson moved in to the home, she was not informed of the stray electrical currents.
Close neighbors had encounters with the electric surges as well. They heard crackling sounds coming from the power lines and even got shocked from opening their mailboxes. It was assumed that the electrical currents were traveling from the substations through the underground gas pipes.
The electric company insisted that their substation had nothing to do with the stray voltage and claimed they tested the area. However, a home inspector discovered 26 places where electrical currents were being given off around the house.
Southern California Edison was ordered to pay the mother of three young boys—who has nerve damage and must visit the hospital often—$1 million in compensatory damages and $3 million in punitive damages.
If you are a victim and have suffered an injury due electrocution, call an experienced Arizona attorney. To schedule a FREE consultation with Phoenix personal injury lawyer Jared Everton, call (480) 648-8928.